Section 3 Certification for Individuals

Self-Certify as a Section 3 resident and connect with local employers.

The City of Mobile is currently working to bring our website into compliance with the HUD Act of 1968 new ruling issued in July of 2020. Please call the Cities Office of Supplier Diversity at (251) 208-6294 with any questions.

What is Section 3?

Section 3 is a program created by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. It gives low-income individuals and small businesses access to job opportunities, training and education, and City contracts.

The Federal Government directs cities to use Federal development funds to promote job opportunities for low-income individuals and residents of public housing.

The City of Mobile uses these funds to help improve our neighborhoods and create new housing for low-income families. The City contracts with eligible businesses. These businesses are encouraged to hire qualified residents who are certified under Section 3.

How do I get Section 3 Certified?

Individuals are eligible to become Section 3 Certified if they meet one of the following criteria:

  • Currently living in public housing
  • Currently receiving public assistance
  • Living in a household with low to moderate income

If you think you are eligible, you can take our online application and Self-Certify in a few minutes. We will ask you a few questions about your work experience, income, and where you live. All you need to get started is an email address.

What happens after I am Certified?

Section 3 certified individuals can use their profiles to connect with Section 3 employers for new job opportunities.

Once you are Self-Certified, you may have to provide additional information and documentation. Employers will need to include your information when they bid on City contracts.

Required Documentation for Individuals

To prove your individual Section 3 status, you will need to provide additional documentation.

Documentation to Provide When Completing Section 3 Individual Certification

Once you complete the initial self-certification process, you will need to provide proof of your individual eligibility.

  • Evidence of the receipt of public assistance: You can also qualify if you receive public assistance. If you have received food assistance, cash assistance, job training, or Medicaid, you may be eligible. You must include information on your status and contact your caseworker or the Alabama Department of Human Resources to get your records.
  • PHA Residential Lease: For business owners who live in public housing, you must include a copy of the Public Housing Authority Lease document. If you are having trouble locating the document, contact your local Public Housing Authority.